Modern boiler controls can make a huge difference to the efficiency of your heating system. Clever use of control systems and thermostats can help avoid overheating and ensure your boiler is only on when necessary, helping to reduce monthly bills.
Boiler controls and thermostats
Older heating systems can waste energy, costing you money. Some common problems and money wasters are:
- hot water cylinder supplied by gravity-fed water: stored water is slower to reheat
- no cylinder thermostat: stored water can become too hot and risk scalding
- no cylinder insulation: heat is wasted through the surface of the cylinder
- no room thermostat: rooms are too hot or too cold
- lack of thermostatic radiator valves (TRVs): excessive room temperatures and poor heating system balancing
- no boiler interlock: this means the boiler stays hot and cycles unnecessarily during programmed heating periods.
These might not seem important but these inefficiencies can waste a lot of money in the long term.
Save money with better controls
Different heating systems require different heating controls and the type of controls required will depend on whether hot water comes directly from your boiler or via a hot water cylinder.